Fall's Here — Have You Made Your Home Maintenance Checklist Yet?
With the weather cooling down, it's the perfect time to assess the needs of your home heading into winter. Cold weather can wreak havoc on your home's exterior if you aren't prepared — and that's why we're here to help you make the ultimate fall maintenance checklist.
Take time to tackle these home projects before winter weather sets in and enjoy the confidence of a secure home all winter long.
- Drain and stow away your garden hose. That way, you won't have to worry about water backing up and freezing. If you have a shut-off valve for your exterior faucets, go ahead and turn that off too.
- Apply weather stripping to your doors and windows. Sealing the openings to your home will help keep the temperature indoors more consistent and reduce your energy bills.
- Clean out your gutters. Clogged gutters can cause water damage to both the interior and exterior of your home, so make this a priority.
- Get your heating system checked out. You may also want to replace any furnace filters, if you haven't done so recently.
- Clean your shutters. Summertime likely brought pollen build-up to your shutters, so give them a good wipe down to start winter with a clean slate.
Here's the good news: Most of these tasks can be checked off over the course of the weekend, allowing you to bask in your own productivity before Monday even rolls around.
- Shutter Man